DIVISION: Central Office Finance
POSITION TITLE: Accountant
FLSA: Exempt/ Full-Time
Reports to: Controller
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Accountant reports to the Controller and is responsible for much of the daily accounting responsibilities of the organization. The Accountant is also responsible for preparing certain monthly standard journal entries and reconciling GL accounts as directed. The Accountant is also responsible for assisting the Controller as requested. As is the case with all members of the Fiscal, Finance, team, the Accountant is responsible for ensuring the safety of the organization’s assets, including its good name. The Accountant is responsible for providing support to the Fiscal Department by managing daily accounting tasks. You will be part of a team of professionals working to maintain order and transparency for the company’s finances. Posting daily cash receipts and reconciling general ledger accounts are a large part of the accountant’s day-to-day work. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in accounting principles and able to work comfortably with numbers and attention to detail. The goal is to contribute to the overall efficient operation of the department and help the company be fully aware of its financial condition. This way it can make the right decisions and accomplish long term success.
- BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting
- Two (2) years’ experience in the general ledger and fund accounting
- Understanding of how the income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow fit together for month-end statements.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and reliable insured transportation
- Excellent organizing skills
- Great attention to detail
- Good with numbers and figures and an analytical acumen
- Good understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles and practices
- Demonstrated strong Excel skills, (i.e. v-lookup, subtotals, pivot tables)
RELATED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Comfortable in a diverse environment and enjoy working with people. •
- Be able to partner with operations and provide analytical support and insight.
- Hands-on accounting experience and skills, including the month-end close process
- Excellent analytical problem-solving skills
- Results and detail-oriented
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work both independently and as a cross-functional team member
- Must be able to turn analysis into insights and effectively communicate the findings and recommendations to key executives and Board Members.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekends.
- Must participate in program events sponsored by the agency.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Working with the Controller to ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end closings.
- Responding to inquiries from managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests, etc. on a timely basis.
- Assisting Controller and CFO in preparing budgets and performing forecasting activities as required.
- Assisting in developing and implementing new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Preparing monthly journal entries and work papers as directed
- Pulling documentation for the audit team
- Assisting in the preparation for an annual audit
- Recording cash receipts
- Performing monthly reconciliation activities for all bank accounts, credit cards, and all other credit liabilities, including end of the month vendor statements.
- Assist in the processing of balance sheets, income statements, and other financial statements according to legal and company accounting and financial guidelines
- Assist with reviewing assets, liabilities, and expenses as assigned
- Performing other duties as needed to assist in accomplishing the requirements of the Accounting Department and/or the mission of Matrix Human Services.
WORKING AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Works in a normal office environment with usual pressures of managing personnel and dealing with time constraints. Because of the need to meet with others within the community, it is common to drive to several locations, sometimes in inclement weather.
CONTINUOUS QUALITY IMPROVEMENT AND ETHICAL CONDUCT:
- All staff will use data to help achieve program goals; apply techniques and strategies that promote a culture of learning; identify and address gaps that continuously improve our programs.
- All personnel of Matrix must adhere to the NASW Code of Ethics and incorporate Continuous Quality Improvement efforts into their everyday performance.
- All Head Start employees must adhere to the federal regulations and requirements for Head Start operations including the Program Performance Standards, licensing regulations, and the NAEYC Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate and actively promote an understanding and commitment to the mission and values of Matrix Human Services.
To apply for this job please visit matrixhumanservices.org.