Matrix Human Services
POSITION TITLE: Prevention Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Matrix Youth and Family Services Division
REPORTS TO: Director / Division Director of Matrix Youth Services
SUPERVISES: N / A
The duties of the Prevention Specialist will be to work, plan, coordinate, and provide individual and group intervention and prevention services to at-risk youth, ages 7-17. This includes a specific focus in preventing and addressing homelessness, at-risk behavior, and those in danger of entering the juvenile justice system.
- A Bachelor’s Degree (or set to graduate within three months with a BA) in social work, psychology, criminal justice, or socially is required with preferably one year of relevant experience (volunteer and/or paid) working with young adults/youth.
- Michigan Driver’s License
- Current Vehicle Insurance
- Able to work flexible hours
- Strong writing skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks
- Ability to travel to local schools and local community activities
- Youth Career Development/Workforce Development/Career Exploration experience preferred
- Full proficiency in Microsoft suite including: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Experience using search engines and databases to complete case notes, find resources, and help students with research assignments as needed.
- Ability to take ownership and showcase interpersonal skillset
- Highly effective problem solving ability
- Self-driven with the ability to recognize improvement on processes and take initiative to execute changes
- Focused attention to detail, well-organized and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple-tasks, achieve desired results and adapt favorably to changing priorities
- Be flexible and available to interact with employees at all levels
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Plan, coordinate and provide a range of activities for youth including: Group and individual counseling; academic assistance; mentoring; career development activities, computer skills; recreational activities; cultural activities; community service activity; arts and crafts; field trips; and speakers and presentations.
- Work a 40 hour work week that is flexible depending upon the activities and needs of the program. After school hours, weekends, and evenings may will be required. This includes 8-12 hours of direct service with clients.
- Keep accurate data/progress notes regarding clients
- Conduct assessments, screening, and interviews with clients.
- Maintain case files including: intake forms; assessment data; client release forms; attendance and participation forms and all progress notes.
- Maintain strict confidentiality concerning information gained through client interviews and program participation.
- Maintain a caseload of clients as assigned by the Program Manager.
- Develop individual case plans for each client assigned.
- Ensure resident records are in accordance with the Department of Community Justice, COA licensure and Matrix PQI standards.
- Participate in staff meetings and any other meetings necessary for doing the job.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Works with youth to goals and provide case management services as needed.
- Prepares and facilitates appropriate academic activities (including homework completion.)
- Provides direct academic support to designated students.
WORKING AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Works in a normal office environment with usual pressures of managing personnel and dealing with time constraints. Because of multiple sites within the department and the need to meet with others within the community, it is common to drive to several locations, sometimes in inclement weather.
CONTINUOUS QUALITY IMPROVEMENT AND ETHICAL CONDUCT:
All personnel of Matrix must adhere to the NASW Code of Ethics and incorporate Continuous Quality Improvement efforts into their everyday performance. All employee of Head Start must adhere to the federal regulations and requirements for Head Start operations including the Performance Standards, Licensing rules, and be of Good Moral Character as stated in the Code of Ethics.
Demonstrate and actively promote an understanding and commitment to the mission and values of Matrix Human Services