Matrix Human Services
POSITION TITLE: EMPLOYEE & LABOR RELATIONS MANAGER
DEPARTMENT: HUMAN RESOURCES
REPORTS TO: VICE PRESIDENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
The Employee Relations Manager serves as a consultant to management on Employee and Labor Relations related issues. Acts as the content expert to support fair, consistent, and legally sound solutions to employee and management issues. Proactively anticipates, assesses, and identifies HR-related needs for the organization to develop integrated HR solutions. The Employee & Labor Relations Manager formulates partnerships across the HR function and organization to deliver value added service to management and employees that reflect the business objectives of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management or related field
- Master’s degree preferred
- Five (5) plus years related Human Resources experience preferably in a non-profit Education environment
- Strong working knowledge of employee relations, performance management, federal and state employment laws, and labor relations
- Experience working in a union environment and assisting with union negotiations
- Experience developing and/or implementing policies, processes and procedures, and training
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Full proficiency in Microsoft suite including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio
- Ability to take ownership and showcase interpersonal skillset
- Highly effective problem-solving ability
- Self-driven with the ability to recognize improvement on processes and take initiative to execute changes
- Focused attention to detail, well-organized and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple tasks, achieve desired results and adapt favorably to changing priorities
- Develop strong trusting relationships to gain support and achieve results
- Strong conflict management skills
- Be flexible and available to interact with employees at all levels
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues by conducting effective, thorough, and objective investigations.
- Flawless execution and delivery of value-added HR services, including but not limited to employee relations, performance management, corrective action, and labor relations.
- Administers unemployment insurance and EEOC claims processing, reviews liability reports, monitors program costs and recommends policy changes to the Vice-president of HR.
- Directs and coordinates preparation of job descriptions, ensures Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) classification compliance.
- Works with Vice-President of HR to develop, implement, delivery and monitor the Matrix Performance process.
- Conducts face to face Exit Surveys, summarizes findings, and discusses trends and concerns with the Vice-President of HR.
- Administers the grievance procedures and provides labor support during contract negotiations.
- Partner with management teams to effectively diagnose and optimize their organizational structure in a consultative approach to provide HR based solutions specific to their needs.
- Participate and/or conduct meetings with respective leaders to understand department, division, and organization challenges to provide effective solutions and guidance in a consultative manner.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of legal requirement related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks, and ensuring regulatory compliance and employment laws are being adhered to. Partner with legal counsel as needed/required.
- Recommends new approaches, development and/or implementation of HR policies and procedures, individual or HR departmental initiatives, objectives, and systems for continuous improvements in efficiencies in department and services provided.
- Develops, Coordinate and Facilitate leadership training (i.e., management coaching, team building, etc.)
- Responsible for recruiting assigned positions, onboarding, and background checks
- Coordinate Company and/or HR sponsored events
- Performs other duties as assigned
WORKING AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Works in a normal office environment with usual pressures of managing personnel and dealing with time constraints. Because of multiple sites within the department and the need to meet with others within the community, it is common to drive to several locations, sometimes in inclement weather.
CONTINUOUS QUALITY IMPROVEMENT AND ETHICAL CONDUCT:
All personnel of Matrix must adhere to the NASW Code of Ethics and incorporate Continuous Quality Improvement efforts into their everyday performance. All employee of Head Start must adhere to the federal regulations and requirements for Head Start operations including the Performance Standards, Licensing rules, and be of Good Moral Character as stated in the Code of Ethics.
Demonstrate and actively promote an understanding and commitment to the mission and values of Matrix Human Services