FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LaTrice Jordan, Vice President, Marketing & Development
firstname.lastname@example.org /313.831.1000 Ext. 1135
Tonette Bryant-Carter, Special Events Principle Consultant
email@example.com / 313.831.1000 Ext. 1137
CELEBRATE THE 313TH BIRTHDAY OF THE MOTOR CITY WHILE RAISING FUNDS FOR YOUTH PROGRAMS IN THE OSBORN COMMUNITY
DETROIT, July 14, 2014 – The Friends of the Matrix Center Committee proudly presents “313 in the D” a Celebration of Detroit’s 313th birthday. Ticket sales will benefit youth programs offered year round at the Matrix Human Services Center located in the Osborn Community.
“313 in the D” will be held July 24th on the roof top of the Music Hall (3 Fifty Terrace) from 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Tickets are $45.00 per person and can be purchased at www.matrixhumanservices.org. Sponsorship opportunities are also available. Enjoy tantalizing cuisine, specialty drinks & a cash bar, music by DJ Chris Guyer, silent auction, Motown karaoke and panoramic views of the city’s beautiful skyline.
“We truly appreciate the efforts of this committee. They saw the need and stepped up in a big way to help the youth we serve. It is our goal to keep this hub open as it provides a safe place for young people and their families,” says Matrix Center Program Director, Sandra Ramocan. “We need the Matrix Center to exist for years to come. That’s what we’re promoting,” continues Ramocan.
Friends of the Matrix Center was founded by Co-Chairs Kim Blotkamp, Local Sales Manager, WKQI Channel 955, Megan Curoe of Counsel Resolution Life, Inc. and Krista Pankopf of Fifth Third Bank. Additional committee members include Terry Berry, Community Services, Ford Fund, Sandra Ramocan, The Matrix Center Program Director, LaTrice Jordan, VP Marketing & Development, Matrix Human Services, Linda Garrison, Director of Volunteers, Matrix Human Services and Tonette Bryant-Carter, Special Events Principle Consultant, Matrix Human Services.
“There will be great food and great music,” says Friends of the Matrix Center co-founder Megan Curoe. “A party on a rooftop in Detroit is rare—everybody wants to be a part of it. I’m sure it will be a cool, fun night in the ‘D’ and the more people we attract, the more people will learn about Matrix Human Services and the wonderful work they are doing throughout the community.”
About the Matrix Center
- The Matrix Center serves more than 50,000 individuals each year in our food pantry (Forgotten Harvest Partnership).
- More than 10,000 individuals visit the Clothing Closet to obtain much needed clothing for everyday life as well as interview attire.
- 200 individuals are trained annually on employment readiness and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).
- 120 individuals are linked to permanent jobs and 98 to permanent housing. Last year, 89 individuals received car loans through our Ways to Work program.
The Matrix Center serves over 3,000 youth each year in:
- After-school programs – 92% reduced truancy, suspensions, and expulsions. 91% reported an increase in grades/GPA, ACT/SAT Preparation classes (30 students participated in the last session with an average ACT score of 13, after six week prep, average score was 19.
- Summer and out of school programs – Six week program offering academic and enrichment classes (cultural, recreational, artistic) only $10/wk for the five day program 9am – 3pm (breakfast, lunch, snack, and weekend food backpack)
- College Readiness Classes – FAFSA (financial aid), college tours, career exposure, and completion of college and scholarship applications, college student support
- Runaway and Homeless Youth case management and support – 84 youth were re-unified with their families through our partnership with Detroit Family advocacy (U of M Law).
- 120 children attend Head Start in the building (ages 2 to 5)
- Special Events – Community Thanksgiving Dinner (420 participants), Harvest Festival (1,893 participants), Christmas Angel Tree program (100 families – 358 youth), ACT/SAT Preparation (60 students in 2012), Community Breakfast (326 participants), Summer Youth Employment and Training (120 youth employed – funding through City Connect)
About Matrix Human Services
Matrix Human Services is a Detroit-based nonprofit, tax-exempt, 501(c) 3, social service organization offering a range of programs devoted to maintaining and supporting the family unit and improving the quality of life for individuals of all ages. Serving the community for 108 years, our mission is to fight generational poverty. Matrix offers positive life experiences, assistance with basic needs, education and supportive services that defuses crisis, treat individual & family problems, prevent abuse and neglect or criminal activities. All programs are rooted in the Transition to Success Model (TTS) providing a system of care designed to empower families and individuals to achieve economic self-sufficiency.
To discover more about Matrix Human Services and how you can get involved visit or contact us at (313) 831-1000 or visit our website at www.matrixhumanservices.org
# # #